Thoughts on 'Wonder Woman'

My husband and I went to see the new 'Wonder Woman' film the other night. I expected it to be good, since I hadn't heard or read anything negative about the film, but I didn't expect it to be *that* good.  I expected to be entertained. I didn't expect to be transformed.

I have never related to a movie character as much as I relate to Wonder Woman. Like Diana, I was raised in a very sheltered environment, yet not truly protected from or prepared for the true dangers in life. I, too, had a very naive and innocent view of the world, and have had a rather brutal awakening to the fact that some people are just plain evil, Ares or no Ares. I have often felt that there was something out there that wanted to destroy me, and it has tried many times to do so, because it feared what I would become and what I will accomplish. I have struggled to balance my own compassion and desire to help others with the fact that I can't save everyone, especially those who don't wish to be saved. I, too, have had to fight against disillusionment and despair, when it seems like every effort to make a difference is swallowed by the perpetual uprising of evil in the world. I also have been held back by man-made ideas of what women should and shouldn't do.

But on the flip side of all of that, like Diana, I have a companion, a best friend, who has always given me the freedom to be myself and who loves me as I am. I have a man who wants me to thrive, to live life to the fullest, who is not threatened by or ashamed of the gifts God has given me. Yeah, he appreciates my body, but I know that I mean so much more to him than just providing him with "eye candy" or "the pleasures of the flesh." ;) He has been my "safe place" and my strongest supporter over the years, and I love him all the more for it!

(Warning: possible spoilers ahead!)

There are many aspects of the film that I loved, and the story itself has such a huge emotional impact, it is difficult to explain exactly which aspect stands out the most, or why. It's like it took the best aspects of 'Captain America,' 'The Force Awakens,' and 'Rogue One,' and made them even better!

For one thing, it was great to see women of all races included among the Amazon warriors. The women were not overtly sexualized, either, as they are in just about every other super-hero film. (:cough: Here's looking at YOU, Marvel... :eye roll: ) Even the Amazon's costuming was tasteful and relatively non-sexual, which was refreshing. Diana herself is very beautiful, but it is because she is kind, caring, and passionate, not simply because she is nice to look at! Nor does it prevent her from being a strong and skillful warrior. And while her sexuality is certainly acknowledged, it is not artificially played up the most valuable or desirable aspect of her character.

For another, I like that the story's setting was changed from WWII to the First World War. It reduced the amount of similarities to Captain America's storyline, as well as brought a forgotten part of history back into the public awareness. It also emphasized the futility of ending one enormous war, only to have another one start less than twenty years later. WWI was one of the most brutal and deadly conflicts in history, thanks to the chasm between old-school military tactics and modern advances in weaponry, and it provided an appropriately bleak backdrop for the story. I also appreciated the way the story coincided better with the rise of the women's suffrage movement and the idea of feminism in general. There are several lines throughout the film that emphasize what feminism is really all about, and why it is necessary, without stooping to stereotypical "man-bashing."

The parallels between the ancient Greek mythological origins of the Amazons with the Genesis creation account are amazing, too. The Amazons were created by Zeus to defend mankind from temptation to do wrong and destroy one another, and encourage them to be the good people they were originally meant to be. They were intended to be the counterparts, the equals to men, but men made them slaves to serve their own base desires. (Egalitarian theology vs. comp theology, anyone??) Thus, they retreated to their own island of Paradise and shut out all men. :sigh: How many women have put up emotional walls to protect themselves from men? I daresay it is a rather universal phenomenon, sadly. We retreat inward, to our own little world that (most) men are excluded from, because we've learned the hard way that men cannot be trusted.

It was also wonderful to see a woman's emotions highlighted as a positive trait, instead of something to be ashamed of or hide from the world. Diana's passion for helping mankind however she can is the source of her strength, not a weakness. Even her maternal instincts and care for animals are portrayed as positive aspects of her nature, which I loved. She is both gentle and strong, a combination rarely depicted on screen. Her confidence isn't downplayed as arrogance, either.

Call me a romantic, but I love the relationship between Diana and Steve. The way they are friends and fellow-soldiers more than lovers is far more true to real life and healthy relationships than most movie romances! It is wonderful how he becomes her inspiration to fight back, and how he loves her and tries to protect her without smothering her.

One of the most surprising elements in the film was the idea that it is not always clear who the "bad guys" are. Evil doesn't always come in looking like a fire-breathing dragon, or even a particular race or political faction. Sometimes it appears in a far less recognizable form, as something that seems to be good. Sometimes good people do "bad" or "wrong" things for the right reasons (lying, stealing, even killing), and sometimes innocent people get caught up in perpetuating oppression against their wills or without their knowledge. The world is rarely as black-and-white as many of us were taught to see it, and often the very things we were taught to despise or fear are the very things that bring us freedom.

Over the past couple of days, I have had a hard time articulating my thoughts and emotions about this film. It has been hard for me to define exactly why it touched me so deeply, or why I relate to Diana so fully. I know a lot of my emotions have to do with how I feel about egalitarianism and feminism, how those themes were so excellently portrayed in the film, and how vital those ideas of freedom and equality are in defeating abuse and oppression around the world. Part of it also has to do with realizing how important my own part in the fight against patriarchy really is, whether I see the results of my work or not. Fully accepting the weight of responsibility for the task I've been given is huge, as well as realizing that, yes, I can make a difference, and yes, that difference is very much needed. I may not be an Amazon warrior, but there are other, less physical ways I can kick @ss and help save the world. Just as in 'Wonder Woman,' truth and love truly are the most powerful weapons against evil, and I intend to fight with them to the best of my ability!

Today, I read a post on why so many women have been so inspired by this film, and it finally hit me: we women don't see ourselves as being strong, or capable of leading, or worthy of love and respect, because that is how the world has always portrayed us. Either we're not enough, or we're "too much." We try so hard to fit into the man-made box of arbitrary standards labelled "femininity," and we feel so ashamed when we can't measure up. We never see ourselves as the heroes of our own stories, yet that's what we are. I believe this film has given women the freedom to see ourselves for who we truly are and courage to become all we are meant to be, and that is powerful. We are ezer kenegdo­ - strong helpers. We are eshet chayil - women of valor.

This is why I say this film has transformed me, in a way. I went into the theater feeling like an ordinary person, but came out feeling like a super hero. And that is how God sees me, even when I don't see that in myself. Like Diana, I am the daughter of God, I am royalty, I am a fighter, I am able, and I am strong.

I am Wonder Woman. 

Comments